Saturday, October 4, 2014

3 Vegetable Casserole and Circus Peanut Salad for Easter dinner

VINTAGE FAMILY FIXIN'S

(revived)


Easter Sunday then and now

 
Welcome to the Easter Sunday edition of Vintage Family Fixin's.

Christ The Lord has risen today, Hallelujah!

My family and I will be spending the afternoon with my mom and stepdad, Judy and Dan Behringer, and my siblings and their families.

My mom Judy - the woman who raised me - came into my life in 1970 when she married my father, Fred McDonald who had lost his first wife, my mother Sandra McDonald, to leukemia.

I was an only child but in 1971 I got a sister, Amy, and then another sister, Molly, in 1974.

In 1979 we got a brother, Matthew.

Fred and Judy were together until after Matthew graduated from high school.

After Dad, Mom, Amy and I moved from Columbus to Caldwell, we lived with my dad's parents Fred and Ruth on upper Belford Street.

After Molly was born we moved to 605 Belford St.


Fred and (the former) Judy McDonald with daughters, Amy, l, Molly and Lisa (me), r, on Easter Sunday 1977.
Shortly after this picture was taken we moved to 704 West St. (I helped carry a large swing set down the street when we moved because it was only a block to our new house).

Among our new neighbors were two older women who lived in the stone-faced house at the corner of West and Belford streets, Helen Ellerman and Jeannette Marshall.

Helen lived downstairs and Jeannette lived upstairs.

Jeannette and my mom shared conversations, and recipes.

Mom asked me to bring to her house today a vegetable and a Jell-O dish for Easter dinner.

Today's featured recipe of 3 Vegetable Casserole was given to my mom by Jeannette. I found a copy in my recipe box.

Mom made this dish for our family on special occasions like Christmas and Easter.

It is very good.

3 Vegetable Casserole

1 package of frozen peas

1 package of frozen lima beans

1 package of french green beans

1 cup of medium white sauce (see below)

1 cup of mayonnaise

3 hard-cooked eggs

4 strips of crisp bacon

Combine the white sauce, mayo and eggs (chopped) and set aside.

Cook vegetables separately according to directions and drain well. In a buttered casserole place the peas and cover with 1/2 the sauce. Next place the lima beans and remaining sauce. Then make a wreath of the green beans around the casserole and place the crumbled bacon in the center of the wreath. Place in a 300 degree oven just long enough to heat through.

Medium white sauce

2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, a dash of black pepper, 1 1/2 cups milk. Melt butter, stir in flour using wooden spoon or wire whisk. Stir or whisk until there are no lumps and then stir in milk slowly until smooth and bubbly. Use a small heavy pan.


•••
The Jell-O dessert I've chosen to take to mom's Easter dinner is called Circus Peanut Salad and I can't wait to taste it. It's been a while since I've eaten a circus peanut. How about you?

I found this week's bonus recipe in Grandmother Ruth McDonald's recipe box.

BONUS RECIPE


Circus Peanut Salad

40 circus peanuts cut up in bits

Mix with 1 large box orange Jell-O. Stir in 3 cups boiling water till dissolved. Add 1 No. 2 can (crushed) pineapple and juice also. Refrigerate till thickens enough to add 1 medium size carton of Cool Whip. Frost when set with topping (see next).

Topping

Mix 1 small box of lemon Jell-O with 1 small package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese and stir in 2 cups boiling water.

Let stand in refrigerator until almost set. Add 1 small Cool Whip and mix well.

Frost Jell-O and garnish with mandarin orange slices.

***

Happy Easter, Dad!


Originally published in the newspaper where I used to work on April 20, 2014, and reprinted here with permission of the publisher.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment