Saturday, May 19, 2018

Grandmother's House



I miss the smell of grandmother's house as I enter the back door.

I miss the toile wallpaper and gas fireplace that is lit three seasons of the year.

I miss the purple bedroom where I slept with my aunt until she got married and moved next door.

I miss the red bedroom and huge Gone With The Wind lamp that sits in front of the window.

I miss the ladybugs behind every curtain in the house.

I miss the grandfather clock's toll and Westminster chime.

I miss the winding staircase with heavy wood banister.

I miss the turquoise bathroom with Estee Lauder powder and lingering scent.

I miss the attic where I found my mother in 2012.

I miss ringing the dinner bell.

I miss the radio tuned to WILE, and the whistle of the tea kettle.

I miss the breakfasts of oatmeal, toast, tea and oranges.

I miss Muffet, Ryan, Tilly and Shane.

I miss the cats that gather for scraps and bread and milk in a tin plate on the porch.

I miss the huge trees that shade the parlor and kitchen windows.

I miss the porch swing and rocking chairs.

I miss her.

I miss my grandmother.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment